- Home /
- Green life /
- Sustainable mobility: what is it and what is the importance behind it
Sustainable mobility: what is it and what is the importance behind it
Transport plays a crucial role in supporting the economic structure of the planet. Whether we are talking about tourism, the food supply chain or everyday life, people and goods are under the influence of movement at every time of the day and night.
The world doesn't stop, and the impact on the environment is enormous: only in the European Union, vehicles are currently responsible for over one quarter of the total emissions of CO2, and the trend is in continuous growth.
Thanks to European action and initiatives under the 2030 agenda, the international awareness of the impact of transportation is growing increasingly: it is necessary to rethink the concept of mobility, re-invent the commonly adopted approach to moving around. Nowadays we have the chance to travel a green road: sustainable mobility.
What is sustainable mobility?
Sustainable mobility is an alternative modality of transportation, environmentally friendly that goes hand in hand with the concept of smart city. The goal is to deploy technologies, infrastructures, and solutions for the concept of new mobility, that could reduce pollution, help the economy of individual population centres, developing new smart logistic accessible to every citizen.
After the Covid-19 pandemic, private transportation method is back in fashion because of the desire to travel and the need for social distancing. The trend shows no sign of slowing down, and it is becoming imperative to find alternative means of transport that can embrace the needs of each individual and give a green turn. Out of all the goals of sustainable mobility, the most important are related to the risks of pollution, at the safeguarding of human health as well as energy saving.
What are the benefits of sustainable mobility?
Green mobility has an across-the-board positive effect on the citizen's lives, the economy and the environment.
The idea of sustainable mobility is born to reduce man's carbon footprint on the planet. According to the ISPRA, in Italy the road transportation contributes to 23% of the total greenhouse gas emissions. It is an already worrying percentage, that gets worse when considering the vehicles: the impact equals to 70% of total emissions. As already mentioned, favouring public transport, e-vehicles and pedestrian or bicycle mobility can help combat air pollution.
How many times have we been blocked in traffic, we thought “why didn't I take the bike?” Or the train? Sustainable means of transport make mobility easier and improve life quality, especially in big cities. Thanks to sustainable vehicles and the so-called ”soft mobility " , the accident rate decreases, road traffic is reduced and health improves: the long walks or bike rides, allow you to exercise your muscles and stay active, and just as the reduction of air pollution has a substantial impact on human well-being.
The sustainable mobility also has a positive effect on your wallet. The purchase price, managing and maintaining a private car, perhaps stoke by fuels fossils, is not easy to sustain: on the contrary, many green ways of transportation are within everyone's reach. Compared to a full tank of fuel, the price of a public transportation pass or a bike rental is much cheaper.
How can we move green?
Moving sustainably in 2022 is very easy. Institutions and private entities offer a series of possibility to adopt a green approach to travelling
- A first solution is to walk: also called soft mobility, this mean of transport is intrinsic to the human being. It's not always quick, but it allows you to live the landscape and the surrounding reality in an active and interested way. Thanks to the app Waidy WOW you can take advantage of the soft mobility and reach your destinations while travelling through wonderful paths.
- The bike is the gold standard for ecological means of transport. Whether a standard, electric or pedal-assisted model, a bike represents a social and economic choice: it decreases the noxious emissions and moreover the consumption of fuel, it's within everyone's reach and helps you stay healthy.
- Among the trendiest means of transportation, the electric kick scooters, the segways and the hoverboards allow moving in the city in a versatile way. Thanks to their compact size, electric micro-mobility tools can be easily transported in a train or metro, and their rental is within everyone's reach thanks to handy apps.
- Despite its fuel consumption, public transport is also an economically and socially sustainable choice. An integrated and functional train, underground and bus system allows you to optimize mass travel as well as reduce annoying complications related to housing density.
- Similarly to the rental of scooters, bicycles, and kick scooters, car sharing services are becoming more and more popular in big and medium-sized cities and represent an effective alternative to private transport. Many companies have already started to implement electric transports means thanks to their services of shared mobility: from October 2022, ACEA employees can move freely within the city on innovative company e-bikes, that can be directly booked via app. A ride away from sustainability.