- Home /
- Water sightseeing routes /
- Water Routes: itineraries in Italy among fountains, waterfalls and aqueducts
Water Routes: itineraries in Italy among fountains, waterfalls and aqueducts
It starts in Rome, with the wonders of Villa Borghese and the fountains that have inspired great film directors. It ends in Umbria and Tuscany. During the entire route, water acts as a compass, and the standards of slow, sustainable and responsible tourism are always respected. NonSprecare illustrates the most beautiful water routes, some of which may be accessed through the Waidy WOW app for iOS and Android.
The fountains of Villa Borghese in Rome
Fountain of the Puppets - Piazza di Siena
The large park of Villa Borghese (about 80 hectares in total) is unique in the world for the number of wonders it contains. Centenary trees, ponds, Italian gardens and unique places, such as the Parco dei Daini, the Borghese Gallery, Piazza di Siena and the Silvano Toti Globe Theater. It is a place that also has beautiful fountains:
- Fountain of the Sea Horses,
- Fountain of the Puppets,
- Fountain of the Bow,
- Fountain of the Silenus
- Fountain of the Venus
- Oval Fountain
- Turtle Fountains
- Dark Fountains
- Fonte Gaia
- Exhibition of the aqua Felix
- Fountain of the Pyramids
You can find the entire Villa Borghese itinerary on the Waidy WOW app.
Oval Fountain also called Dark - Viale del Museo Borghese
The cinematic fountains of Rome
Cinema has an indissoluble tie with Rome, and in some of the images that have made the history of cinema there are artistic fountains, as well as aqueducts and Nasoni of the capital. These are places that are part of the collective imagination and users of the Waidy WOW app will be able to discover them by retracing the steps of the films:
- Trevi Fountain: appears in the film “La dolce vita” and in “Totò truffa 62”;
- Triton Fountain;
- Three Fountains in piazza Navona (Quattro Fiumi, del Moro and del Nettuno);
- Fountain of the turtles;
- Fountain of Moses;
- Fountain of the Naiads;
- Fontanone of the Gianicolo.
All of these places have often been captured in famous movies and you can discover more thanks to the hydro-cinematographic route on the Waidy WOW app.
The Fountains of Pietro Lombardi in Rome
Pietro Lombardi in 1925 won the national competition for the fountains of Rome. From that moment on he became "the architect of fountains", which he manages to design with a symbol, or a recognizable emblem, of the district where they are installed. Among the 10 fountains created, we’d like to mention:
- Fountain of the Amphorae in the Testaccio district,
- Fountain of the Arts in Via Margutta,
- Fountain of the Barrel in Trastevere,
- Fountain of books in the Sant’Eustacchio district,
- Fountain of Piazza Scossacavalli, rediscovered by Pietro Lombardi’s son.
The tour of Lombardi's fountains will soon be available also on the Waidy WOW app.
In Umbria, the Franciscan places of water
The water routes in Umbria cannot ignore the places where the life and works of St. Francis still lingers to this day. The routes, long about 120 kilometers as the crow flies, include artistic, landscape and architectural heritage sites.
- Perugia, where a mighty aqueduct was built between 1254 and 1278 that was able to carry the water uphill to the Fontana Maggiore of Perugia.
- Assisi, with its fountains built close to houses and noble palaces.
- Acquasparta, where St. Francis went to the Amerino spring.
- Terni, with its three churches, the Franciscan place par excellence.
- Narni where the Sacro Speco is.
- The Marmore Falls, among the highest in Europe.
Discovering the water springs of Mount Amiata, in Tuscany
The water routes in Tuscany lead us to discover the springs of the Amiata. The etymology of the word (Amiata, from the Latin ad meata, meaning "at the springs") already suggests how water plays a central role in this fabulous landscape.
A small universe, waiting to be discovered: from the Sacred Mountain to the woods, the olive trees, the vineyards and the chestnut groves. A natural wonder that instills emotions every season of the year.
This route will soon be available on the Waidy WOW app.